Brunswick Continues Support for Vector® Plus Systems That Run Microsoft® WindowsXP®
As you may know, Microsoft recently announced that:
- Effective 4/8/14, it will no longer support the Windows XP operating system, releasing no further updates or security patches for this software
- Effective 7/14/15, it will no longer support the Windows Server 2003 operating system, releasing no further updates or security patches for this software
This news might concern owners of Brunswick Vector Plus scoring and management systems, since many of these still run on the Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 operating systems.
Brunswick is fully committed to continue supporting Vector Plus systems running Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 operating systems. There is no immediate need to replace your hardware in order to run Brunswick Vector Plus software.
We’ve been down this road together before. About every two or three years, Microsoft releases a new version of Windows—then eventually discontinues its support for the older versions. And every time this happens, Brunswick has stood by its Vector Plus customers whose equipment continues to run on retired versions of Windows operating systems. This time will be no exception.
Following are specific steps Brunswick is taking to help ensure that you can continue to run your center smoothly.
- Brunswick will continue to provide Vector Plus software versions that are compatible with Windows XP. Vector Plus version 6—the latest version—is Windows XP compatible and will continue to ship.
- Brunswick is releasing a Windows 7 operating system upgrade kit for centers with Dell OptiPlex XE Client computers. Contact your local sales representative for more details.
- Brunswick is now shipping all Client computers for Vector Plus—new systems and replacement hardware—with Windows 7 installed. Contact your local sales representative for more details.
- Brunswick is releasing a Windows Server 2008 operating system upgrade kit for centers with Dell T310 Servers. Microsoft will continue to support Windows Server 2008 through January 2020. Contact your local sales representative for more details.
- Brunswick is now shipping all Server computers for Vector Plus—new systems and replacement hardware—with Windows Server 2008 installed. Contact your local sales representative for more details.
- Many third-party companies (e.g. VIPRE) continue to support Windows XP at this time. This means you will still be able to protect your systems, even though Microsoft will no longer release security patches for Windows XP.
- Note: To maintain PCI compliance, centers with Vector Plus and the Payment Card module running Windows XP must upgrade hardware and/or operating system to Windows 7 and Vector Plus v6.
Please contact Brunswick Technical Support for the latest recommended networking topology and antivirus recommendations, network recertification services, and security guidelines. firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-YES –BOWL, option 3.