Brunswick News

April 29, 2010

World Championship Winner, Tom Smallwood, Joins Brunswick Pro Staff

Brunswick Bowling announced today that Tom Smallwood, rookie-bowler and 2009 Professional Bowlers Association World Championship winner, has joined its Pro Staff.

Smallwood, who has three career PBA 300 games, finished the season tenth in points on the PBA Tour. As the fifth earner for the 2009-2010 season, he’s earned more than $100,000. Thanks to his win at the PBA World Championship, Smallwood earned a two-year exemption on the tour and a chance to bowl in the PBA Tournament of Champions in January.

Smallwood’s story has been all over the news media from USA Today to Sports Illustrated to the Los Angeles Times. After a job loss prompted him to enter the PBA Tour Trials in Detroit, he finished third and earned a full-year exemption to bowl. The 32-year-old, right-handed bowler from Saginaw, Mich., went on to qualify to become one of the finalists in the PBA World Championship. Smallwood originally joined the PBA in 2003, and competed in regional tournaments since then.

“Tom will be a great addition to the Brunswick Pro Staff team,” said Nick Stickler, vice president Consumer and Aftermarket products. “We were looking to broaden our team, and with Tom’s talent and personality and the fact that so many fans can relate to him, we are excited to have him represent Brunswick on Tour. Tom is a very good player with a great future.”

“Bowling has always been a big part of my life,” said Smallwood. “I never even dreamed of going from unemployed to World Champion. I look forward to my new partnership with Brunswick and hope to be a great asset for many years to come.”

Smallwood joins Hall of Fame bowler, Parker Bohn III, along with Sean Rash and Brad Angelo, representing Brunswick on the Professional Bowlers Tour.